Revolutionizing Playgrounds: Magical Bridge Foundation
Far surpassing ADA requirements, foundation poised to bring truly inclusive and innovative playgrounds to communities everywhere.
For immediate release: April 18, 2016. Palo Alto, CA. Since its April 2015 opening in Palo Alto, California, Magical Bridge Playground is heralded as the nation’s most innovative and inclusive playground. The first of its kind, Magical Bridge Playground illustrates how today’s typical park designs overlook and exclude so many: the growing autistic population, visually and hearing impaired, physically limited, medically fragile, and even the aging community. Working with inclusion experts from all over the world, Magical Bridge Playground far surpasses the minimum ADA requirements, and benefits everyone in the community, regardless of ability or disability.
The MAGIC of a Magical Bridge Playground: Designed by inclusive play experts, educators, therapists, families living with various disabilities, and leading landscape architects, Magical Bridge Playground at Mitchell Park includes:
- Distinct play zones designed to accommodate everyone.
- Fully accessible equipment including bucket swings, joyful spinning features, wide slides, a sway boat, and merry-go-round.
- Wheelchair access to a two-story playhouse, tree house, and top of a slide mound.
- Surprising and innovative features, such as a 24-string laser harp, whimsical artwork, seamless turf, and custom wooden structures for tactile and visual impact.
- Retreat cocoons for those needing a break from play.
- Play zone descriptions, featuring braille, outlining the physical and cognitive benefits of the carefully selected equipment.
- A Kindness Corner acting as a visual reminder to be kind, compassionate, and an up-stander — and encouraging the formation of new friendships.
Change is here, and it is magical! The mission of Magical Bridge Foundation is to bring the magic of Magical Bridge Playground to communities everywhere.
Led by Magical Bridge Playground founder and visionary, Olenka Villarreal, and co-founders Jill Asher and Kris Loew, the formation of Magical Bridge Foundation is the natural next step to respond to the urgent need for innovative and inclusive parks. The team is ready to pour seven years of research, fundraising, development, design, and construction strategies into building Magical Bridge Playgrounds across the nation.
This year, Magical Bridge Foundation is focused on bringing a Magical Bridge Playground to three (3) Bay Area locations. The team will leverage their expertise and relationships gained from the Palo Alto location to reduce costs and expedite the building process, while continuing research and advocacy for inclusive play spaces.
“The ongoing enthusiasm for the Palo Alto playground underscores the global need for play spaces to be designed for everyone,” shared Olenka Villarreal, founder of Magical Bridge Foundation. “While valiant in its efforts, ADA has not done enough to reflect the many physical and cognitive dimensions of today’s families, or how they actually use playgrounds. Join us as we create a new kind of playground – a community playground, which reflects the needs of every community member. It is time to revolutionize today’s playground designs, and Magical Bridge Foundation is ready to bring the magic of inclusive play everywhere.”
With each new Magical Bridge Playground project, the Foundation will capture the unique spirit of the area and ignite the support of local government and community groups around designing public places for everyone.
- Criteria for building a Magical Bridge Playground: http://magicalbridge.org/build-a-playground/
- Fund a Magical Bridge Playground: http://magicalbridge.org/fund-a-playground/
- Magical Bridge Foundation FAQ: http://magicalbridge.org/foundation-faq/
- Palo Alto’s Magical Bridge Playground: http://magicalbridge.org/interactive-map/
About Magical Bridge Foundation
Magical Bridge Foundation furthers the promise of Palo Alto’s Magical Bridge Playground by advocating for and creating inclusive and innovative playgrounds in other communities. Led by Magical Bridge Playground founder and visionary, Olenka Villarreal, and co-founders Jill Asher and Kris Loew, the formation of Magical Bridge Foundation is responding to the global need for innovative and inclusive parks. We are ready to pour our seven years of research, fundraising, development, design, and construction strategies into building Magical Bridge Playgrounds across the nation.
Media Assets: Fact sheet, Logo and Playground Photographs: http://magicalbridge.org/media-kit/
Magical Bridge Foundation’s Social Media Sites:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MagicalBridge/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/magicalbridge/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/magicalbridge/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MagicalBridge/
Magical Bridge Foundation